2021 is Going to be the Year of the Hug; 10 Things We are Looking Forward to This Year
2020 is finally behind us and there are quite a few things to look forward to in the new year. Donald Trump and his clan of misfits will be removed from the White House and the Covid vaccination rate should pick up in January.
Yes, the next few weeks leading up to Joe Biden's inauguration will be brutal and the coronavirus will inflict more pain until the majority of us are vaccinated, but there is hope that by May or June life will return to something close to normal. So, in no particular order, here are some of the bright spots on the horizon.
1. Carefree Hugs! I never fully appreciated how wonderful it is to hug an old friend when you run into them on the beach or in the mall. Hell, by June I may be hugging strangers.
2. Facts and Science. Pre-Trump, I took a fact-based reality as a given. Boy, was I wrong! The first step will be to rejoin the Paris Climate Agreement.
3. Live Music, Concerts, Festivals. We owe a debt of gratitude to all the bands that performed virtually for us, often for little or no pay, but it’s just not the same thing. You can’t beat the buzz of a live concert, with a cold beer, arm in arm with friends, singing along with your favorite band. It's magical, and I'll never take it for granted again.
4. Travel. We can go back to exploring the world and vacationing in the sun. Come June the travel industry is going to explode with pent-up demand!
5. An End to Immigrant Bashing, Misogamy and Hate. Yes, QAnon and white nationalists will still be plotting a revolution on the internet, but at least our President won't be encouraging their madness.
6. Endless Supplies of Toilet Paper. What the hell was that all about.
7. Movie Theaters. I will be quite happy to pay $20 for a box of Snowcaps just to enjoy the whole theater experience again.
8. Large Parties and Reconnecting With Old Friends. There are going to be some epic parties this Summer!
9. Ditching the Mask. While I will happily wear a mask as long as necessary, it will be nice to finally ditch them and smile again at people that we pass in the street or at the grocery store.
10. Teaching in a Classroom. Like my students, I got used to Zoom classes, but I really miss the in-person interaction in a classroom. I know they do too.
Happy New Year!
By: Don Lam